Frequently Asked Questions Related to Property Damage

  • My property was damaged by the storm on July 26th. Should I call my insurance company?

Yes. Call your insurance company as soon as possible. If possible, have a copy of your insurance policies handy when you call.

  • Am I eligible for financial help from government agencies for property damage and cleanup?

At this time, government agencies have not authorized financial help. However, Salt Lake City Mayor Biskupski issued an emergency declaration on July 28, 2017. This is the first step needed to identify financial resources from federal, state, and local government agencies to assist with property damage. With this declaration, Salt Lake City can actively seek government funding for emergencies. This type of funding may or may not be available, but we are doing all we can access possible government emergency funding.

  • I have started repairing storm and water damage in my home and on my property. What records should I keep for possible insurance or other reimbursement?

Document everything – take pictures of the areas damaged before and after repairs are made. Keep all bids, receipts and solicitations from contractors in a safe place.

  • Are there volunteer organizations providing help?

Yes. The American Red Cross, Rubicon, Habitat for Humanity, and other non-profit relief organizations have been mobilized to help. Call  2-1-1 to connect with any of the volunteer organizations and visit: M.A.R.C. Supporting Agencies.

  • What should I do with debris from my home or property related to storm damage?

Affected residents should call Public Utilities Dispatch at 801-483-6700 option 1 to report the damage and request bulky waste pickup in order to be added to the cleanup route.

Remember, the safety of you and your family during any cleanup is paramount. Salt Lake County Health Department offers tips and guidelines for flood cleanup visit: Safe Disposal

Residents who have previously reported damage to Public Utilities may call Waste and Recycling directly at 801-535-6999 to request bulky waste pickup.

Waste and Recycling will be providing one-time special bulky waste collection from Salt Lake City homes that have experienced damage from the storm.

Businesses and multi-family properties must arrange for private waste collection services.

  • Instructions for placing bulky items at the curb:
    • Damaged bulky items such as furniture, carpeting, and drywall can be placed at the curb.
    • In order to expedite collection and protect city workers, damaged items and debris that are not bulky (i.e. clothing, toys, cardboard, food) should be placed in a garbage bag prior to placing it at the curb.
  • Unacceptable Items:
  • Liquid waste
  • Hazardous materials such as chemicals, paints, or cleaners. For information on the safe disposal of Hazardous Materials, click here

****For more information go to CLEAN UP GUIDELINES***


Flood damaged debris will be collected from reported locations

August 10-12

August 17-19

Additional collection events will be scheduled if necessary.

  • Companies have approached me to contract for cleanup services. What should I do?
  • Companies that contact you promising that Salt Lake City or any other agency will cover costs for cleanup and recovery of your property are providing inaccurate information. Salt Lake City, and other local, state, and federal agencies have not authorized financial assistance for these services. Companies who specialize in cleanup and recovery are a valuable resource in an emergency. If companies are approaching you to provide these services please verify credentials and licensing. If you wish to check out a contractor’s credentials, here is the link to the state Department of Professional Licensing (DOPL) website:   https://secure.utah.gov/llv/search/index.htmlBe aware that arranging for and paying for contracted cleanup work is the sole responsibility of the property or business owner. Unfortunately there have been documented incidents during many disasters situations where unscrupulous persons and organizations use incorrect information about this responsibility. If you believe you are victim of a fraudulent service please file a report here: Severe Weather 2017 Fraudulent Services Report
  • Where can I find more information?

You may call Salt Lake City Department of Public Utilities’ 24 hour Dispatch at 801.483.6700, press option 1; OR Salt Lake City Department of Public Utilities Customer Service at 801.483.6900 during regular business hours.

To all residents affected by the unprecedented severe weather event experienced on Wednesday July 26th, 2017. An On line Multi-Agency Resource Center is open to help you answer your questions and provide available resources.

Please click here: Resident Information form  to fill out the Resident Information Form and send it to bereadyslc@slcgov.com. Please include the subject line “ATTN: Severe Weather Event Forms.” For questions call Public Utilities Dispatch 801-483-6700 Option #1.


Name:          on line Multi-Agency Resource Center click here: M.A.R.C.

Hours:         Vary depending on the agency 

Contact:       Public Utilities Dispatch 801-483-6700 option # 1

The providing agencies are listed in the M.A.R.C. page, please click here: M.A.R.C.  to visit it and find a list of the agency providers and their websites.