96-HOUR EMERGENCY KIT
The 96-Hour Emergency kit should be individually tailored to meet the basic survival needs of your family for four days. Most families prefer to store their emergency supplies in one location that is relatively safe, yet easily accessible if evacuation is required. Items may be stored in a 32-gallon trash can, suitcase, duffel bag, footlocker, or individual backpack.
Tier 1 Basics Plan 9
- Water: (1 gallon per person per day -4 days), water filters
- Food: At home can food, for your mobile kit: granola and protein bars.
- Clothes: Two season summer and winter, socks, boot/shoes.
- Medications: 4 days’ worth of prescriptions.
- Flashlight: Solar powered o battery operated. Get plenty of batteries.
- Multi-tool: Can opener, knife, utensils etc.
- Radio AM/FM: Solar operated or battery operated. Get plenty of batteries. (KSL 1160 AM)
- Hygiene Items: Soap, toothbrush, toilet paper, hand sanitizer.
- First Aid kit: Antiseptic, bandages, non-prescription medicine, scissors.
Tier 2 Getting Ahead
Have the Basic plus:
- Instruction manual on Emergency Preparedness
- Waterproof/Windproof Matches
- Non-Perishable Foods
- Suggested Items: Ready-to-eat goods in unbreakable containers, canned meats, juice, fruits & vegetables, powdered mild, infant care foods, crackers, peanut butter, freeze-dried & dehydrated goods, meals ready-to-eat (MRE’s)
- Water Storage
- 5/6-Gallon Bucket
- (12) Port-a-Potty Bags
- (5) Port-a-Potty Chemicals
- Latex-Free Gloves
Always maintain at least ½ Tank of Gas — First Aid Kit & Manual — Flashlight & batteries — Reflectors & Flares — Jumper Cables —
Tier 3 You are NOW prepared
Have the Basic, plus the Getting ahead plus:
Add to the Sanitation kit:
- 3M N95 Particle Respirator (face mask)
- Tissue Packs
- Comb/Hair brush
Add to the CAR SURVIVAL KIT:
- Waterproof Matches & Candles — Fire Extinguisher (Class ABC) — Short piece of rubber hose — Radio & batteries — Non-perishable food kit — Bottled Water — Bag of Sand, Shovel, and Tool Kit — Blanket or Sleeping bag — Pen & Paper — Map — Tissue — Moist toweletts — Plastic bags — Essential Medications
MAKE COPIES OF ALL LEGAL PAPERS
- Marriage License — House Mortgage — Vacation Home/Property Ownership — Automobile Ownership — Motor Home Ownership — Wills — Jewelry Appraisals — Drivers License — Trailers, Recreational Vehicles, etc. Ownership — Insurance Policies
- Take color pictures of every room from opposing sides plus pictures of valuables. Make an inventory of items with serial numbers. Send one copy of legal papers and pictures to an out-of-state contact.
OTHER EMERGENCY NEEDS:
- Paper and Pen
- Copies of Insurance Policies and Personal Papers
- Money (cash)
- Important Addresses/Phone numbers
- Work Gloves
- Tool kit w/most commonly used tools
Tier 4 Be Part of the solution
Have the Basic, Getting ahead, You are now prepared PLUS:
- Know basic first aid i.e. CPR, Heimlich maneuver, & First Aid for severe bleeding& shock. Also CERT and Amateur Radio.
- Pipe Wrench & Adjustable Wrench for turning off gas or water mains
- Work Gloves and boots to assist with rescue work (or CERT Kit if CERT Trained)
- For Children: Puzzles, Coloring Books, Books, Games
- For Adults: Books, Magazines, Games, Crafts